Sunday, June 26, 2011

F.C. Selous


Well, the big bore shooting post is postponed until further notice when I get the videos, so sorry if you were looking forward to that. But I though I should do a post before the new school week when I will be too busy to post again.

I thought I'd post this short anecdote from the life of Frederick Courteney Selous. Selous (Seh-loo) was a British explorer/hunter famous for his exploits in Africa and is generally a huge figure for lovers of Africana. He explored remote regions, scouted and served during wartime, and basically killed hundreds of animals. Although he is hardly a good role model for conservation (not by a long shot), to be fair there were few people at the time that saw the need. He was, however, a very rugged individual who lived an amazing life.

Anyway, on to the story. This story is from when he was ten years old and in school (told by his schoolmaster). I'll just quote it to make it easy

"... on going around the dormitories to see that all was in order, discovered Freddy Selous, laying bare on the floor clothed only in his night shirt. On being asked the cause of this curious behaviour, he replied "Well, you see, one day I am going to be a hunter in Africa and I am just hardening myself to sleep on the ground."


I just love that to death.

Well, that's all for now, stay manly (or become manly (unless you're not a man)).
-Luke


No comments:

Post a Comment