Friday, April 1, 2011

I Pity The April Fool!



Post time! This post isn't actually about April Fools Day at all, so..April Fool! What it is about is gaiters. According to Wikipedia "Gaiters are garments worn over the shoe and lower pant leg. Most gaiters especially in America are longer (for maybe hiking in snow). But as snow is scarce but thorns and stickers are numerous in East Africa, a different tradition has developed. A typical "safari" gaiter can be seen here. They can be worn with modestly long shorts or long pants; either is useful. While I don't myself, many hunters in Africa wear shorts, ankle height boots and canvas gaiters. Pack boots that American hunters would use are unnecessary and impracticable. Generally, you need cool and flexible gear for "desert" conditions.

More for making them than anything, I decided to try and make a pair out of some heavy duty canvas we have. As I thought more about me sewing I thought less about me sewing, and My amazing Mother was kind enough to sew them for me. After they were made, I used some of Dad's Driza-Bone oilskin mixture to make them waterproof. To make canvas into oilskin all you have to do is melt the oil/wax mixture into the fabric. I used a blow dryer.

Here they are.


And also here.
I think they're smashing and I'm chuffed that Mom took the time to help me.
In other news, I changed my guitar strings yesterday - There's nothing like new strings :D

-Luke


6 comments:

  1. Nice! That's cool that you were able to use that Driza-bone stuff. Hehe... chuffed... I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever! And I like the new choice of header pictures-nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Luke! I'm glad that you are chuffed. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, Luke! You, your mom, and your dad's oilskin mixture did a great job! They look so...smashing. :D

    Marli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and two words: Peggy Fleming. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone! (except for you Jewels, nyamaza!)

    ReplyDelete